Nascida e criada em Portugal. Já morei na Polónia, no Brasil, na República Checa e agora é a Suécia que me acolhe.
O meu blogue, tal como o meu cérebro, é uma mistura de línguas. Bem vindos!

Born and raised Portuguese. I have lived in Poland, Brazil, Czech Republic and now I'm in the beautiful Sweden.
My blog, just like my brain, is a blend of languages. Welcome!

quarta-feira, 29 de março de 2017

The Sara way #3

Or how 10 kilometres turn into 15...

More than a year after I moved to Prague I got lost while running in my own neighbourhood. It was raining cats and dogs and I couldn't see the way. That was my excuse that day.

Yesterday, also more than a year after I moved here I got lost when I was running. Me getting lost is almost becoming a tradition. 



Last weekend we cycled to a neighbourhood, full of small attached houses that look alike, around where I run sometimes. This time we took a right on the main street and went up to the forest. Yesterday I planned to go there to the entrance and back, so it would be quite exactly 10 km. When I was there I didn't feel like running up the hill so I decided to just continue in the main street, because it's flat. The same street where I have ran some other times. Then I remembered that last time, after seeing the map online, I saw that I didn't have to turn around, but I could turn left twice, go around and go back to the main street. Simple enough, I thought. And it was. I ended up exactly where I thought I would be. 

So what was the problem? The problem was that I didn't bloody recognised it! There are some open fields in the beginning of that neighbourhood and somehow coming from a different perspective made it so it looked completely different, at least in my head! When I came to the main road, that for me was just a road then, I had to turn left or right. Had I turn right, I would have seen familiar buildings after 50 m, but my brilliant instinct told me to turn left. Of course. I should have still recognised it because I have ran there before, but all the houses look the same and I didn't see it.

So I happily ran in the wrong direction not understanding where I was. I tried to go up a small road, because I thought I recognised the name, but it felt like a dead end so I returned and continued on the bigger street. It was only when I saw signs for the next city that I understood that something was really really wrong. 

I went back again, took that smaller road again and decided to go to the end and check if it really was a dead end. At a crossing I stopped and decided to ask someone. And then even before I had time to find someone to ask, it hit me! I was on the road up to the forest! I recognised it then! But... but... but... that meant that the road I have been running up and down is the one I was looking for!!! No... it's too stupid... Did I really do this?

Yes I did. 

After a few minutes I was back in the fields and I finally saw it. Suddenly, all the unfamiliar buildings became familiar and I couldn't help but laugh at myself. Relieved, I ran back making it home with 5 extra kilometres in the bag. 

Then I heard Johan's voice. He is abroad in a conference and one of the things he told me when he left was: Sara, try to not get lost when you run this time. Oh well...



Ou como 10 quilómetros se transformam em 15...

Mais de um ano depois de me mudar para Praga, perdi-me enquanto corria no meu próprio bairro. Estava a chover a potes e eu não via bem o caminho. Foi essa a minha desculpa nesse dia.

Ontem, também mais de um ano depois de me ter mudado para cá, perdi-me enquanto corria. Perder-me está quase a tornar-se uma tradição.

No último fim de semana fomos de bicicleta até um bairro aqui perto, com casas pequenas pegadas umas às outras que parecem todas iguais, onde eu corro às vezes. Desta vez, viramos à direita na rua principal e subimos até a floresta. Ontem tinha planeado ir até à entrada da floresta e voltar, fazendo assim 10 quilómetros. Quando estava quase a virar para a floresta decidi seguir em frente pela rua principal que é plana, porque não me apetecia subir. A mesma rua onde já corri algumas outras vezes. Depois lembrei-me que da última vez, depois de ver o mapa online, vi que não precisava de voltar atrás, mas em vez disso podia virar à esquerda duas vezes, em volta do bairro e voltar para a rua principal. Simples o suficiente, pensei. E foi. Fui dar exatamente onde pensei que ia dar.

Então qual foi o problema? O problema foi que não reconheci o sítio onde estava! Há uns campos abertos no início do bairro e de alguma forma, vindo de uma perspectiva diferente fez isso com que tudo parecesse completamente diferente, pelo menos na minha cabeça! Quando cheguei à estrada principal, que na altura era só uma estrada para mim, podia virar à esquerda ou à direita. Se eu tivesse virado à direita teria visto um edifício que conheço bem uns 50 m depois, mas o meu instinto é brilhante e disse-me para virar à esquerda. Claro. Ainda assim deveria ter reconhecido a rua, porque já lá tinha corrido várias vezes, mas com as casas todas iguais simplesmente não percebi que era a mesma.

Assim lá fui eu feliz da vida a correr na direção errada, sem saber bem onde estava. Tentei também atalhar por uma rua mais pequena, porque pensei que reconheci o nome, mas pareceu-me um beco sem saída e voltei atrás. Foi só quando vi sinais para a próxima cidade que eu entendi que algo estava realmente muito errado.

Voltei novamente quase aos campos, fui outra vez pela rua menor que pensei que reconheci o nome e decidi ir até o fim e verificar se realmente era um beco sem saída. Num cruzamento ao fundo parei e decidi perguntar a alguém. E antes mesmo de encontrar alguém, fez-se luz! Eu estava na estrada que vai até a floresta! Mesmo antes de começar a subir! Mas... mas... mas... isso significava que a estrada onde tenho estado a correr para cima e para baixo é aquela que eu estava à procura!!! Não... é demasiado estúpido... Será que fiz mesmo isto?

Sim, fiz.

Uns minutos depois estava de volta aos campos e finalmente vi tudo. De repente, todos os prédios desconhecidos se tornaram familiares e eu desatei a rir de mim própria. Aliviada, corri para casa chegando com 5 quilómetros extra nas pernas.

Quando cheguei lembrei-me da voz do Johan. Ele está fora numa conferência e uma das coisas que me disse quando saiu foi: Sara, tenta não te perderes a correr desta vez. Ah bem...

6 comentários:

  1. Luckily you were able to ask someone for directions and get back on track.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. I ended up never asking anyone because I recognised where I was before (the text was a bit confusing but I already made it more clear). Silly me sometimes...

      Eliminar
  2. That was quite a run you ended up doing. Funny how a road can look completely different when approaching it from the other end.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. I met the road from the side, but the effect was the same. It borders pathetic, I know... At least I got good training!

      Eliminar
  3. Ha-ha! The mind can certainly play tricks on us in that situation. I missed a wedding one time when driving to Georgia because I turned left instead of right. I kept convincing myself everything looked familiar but as it turned out, I wound up in a completely different state from where I was going and wound up making my travel time 3 hours longer. Oops!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. Wow pretty cool story!! Sometimes it's hard having to live without any sense of direction whatsoever...

      Eliminar

Adorava saber das vossas voltas. Escrevam!
I would love to hear more about you. Feel free to comment!