Nascida e criada em Portugal. Já morei na Polónia, no Brasil, na República Checa e agora é a Suécia que me acolhe.
O meu blogue, tal como o meu cérebro, é uma mistura de línguas. Bem vindos!

Born and raised Portuguese. I have lived in Poland, Brazil, Czech Republic and now I'm in the beautiful Sweden.
My blog, just like my brain, is a blend of languages. Welcome!

quarta-feira, 14 de março de 2018

Athens, the food

I had been in Greece before and the one thing I never forgot was the food. I remembered eating a lot of fresh salads, grilled fish and meat, cheese and finishing it off with some greek frozen yoghurt. I was there with my sister in 2012 and we had our favourite place in Athens to eat greek frozen yoghurt. It was the creamiest, tastiest frozen yoghurt we have ever had and when I told her I was going back she told me I had to try to find this place. 

It was not an easy mission because we only remembered how it looked like just outside, but had no idea how to get there. It took me a few days, and I had to go back to the hotel where I stayed with my sister to find out the right street, but I found it. Unfortunately, when I finally found the shop I saw that it had become a fast food restaurant with some very dodgy pizzas. It was the disappointment of the trip as I had talked really highly of this place to Johan. 

To make up for it we decided to try all the frozen yoghurts we came across and we found some good ones. We also found a Greek yoghurt bar, where one could add different toppings to it. The most traditional and super delicious toppings are walnuts and honey. It is to die for!! Especially because the yoghurt itself is just so incredibly good. Interestingly, I don't have any pictures of frozen yoghurt. I guess I was always too busy enjoying it, but I do have some from our meals. 


Já tinha estado na Grécia antes e se houve coisa que nunca esqueci foi a comida. Lembrava-me de ter comido muitas saladas frescas, peixe e carne grelhados, queijos e de comer iogurte grego gelado. Estive lá com minha irmã em 2012 e encontramos o nosso lugar favorito em Atenas para comer iogurte gelado grego. Foi o iogurte gelado mais cremoso e saboroso que alguma vez provamos e quando lhe disse que ia voltar, ela disse-me que eu tinha que tentar encontrar o mesmo sítio.

Não foi uma missão fácil, porque nós só nos lembrávamos de como se parecia por fora, mas não fazia ideia de como chegar lá. Demorou alguns dias e tive que voltar ao hotel onde tinha ficado com a minha irmã para descobrir a rua certa, mas encontrei-a. Infelizmente quando finalmente encontrei a loja vi que se tinha tornado num restaurante de fast food com pizzas muito duvidosas. Foi a desilusão total uma vez que tinha falado mesmo muito dele também com o Johan.

Para compensar decidimos experimentar todos os iogurtes gelados que encontramos e encontramos muitos bons. Também encontramos um bar de iogurte grego, onde se podiam adicionar toppings diferentes. Os ingredientes mais tradicionais e super deliciosos são as nozes e o mel e é de chorar por mais!! Especialmente porque o iogurte já por si é tão incrivelmente bom. Curiosamente, não tenho nenhuma foto dos iogurtes ou gelados. Estive sempre demasiado ocupada a come-los, mas tenho algumas fotos das nossas refeições.

Slouvaki

 Bread, eggplant mash (it had a name...) and Dakos salad (my favourite!)
Pão, puré de beringela (tinha um nome... ) e salada Dakos (a minha preferida)

 Salads, cheeses and wine - it could hardly get better
Saladas, queijos e vinho - não há nada melhor


House wine in a plastic bottle and surprise surprise, it was good!
Vinho da casa em garrafa de plástico e não é que era bom!

Bread, salad and tzatziki / Pão, salada e tzatziki
 
Filled peppers / Pimentos recheados

Another Dakos salad / Mais uma salada Dakos

Greek salad / Salada Grega

It was all so good and so simple at the same time. I want to go back...
Tudo tão bom e tão simples ao mesmo tempo. Quero voltar...

If you go don't miss Fresko, the yoghurt bar and Coco's, for ice cream or frozen yoghurt.
Se forem a Atenas não percam Fresko, o bar de iogurte e Coco's, para comer gelado ou frozen yogurt.

Fresko (photo from the internet)
Fresko (photo from the internet)

Coco's (photo from the internet)

So, did you get hungry? Me too. Sorry!
Então, ficaram com fome? Eu também. Desculpem!

3 comentários:

  1. I remember on our visit to Greece in 2006 I also loved all the dishes I tried.
    My younger sister who lives in South Africa is married to a Greek and she learned to cook a few Greek dishes.
    I'd never heard of the eggplant mash, will have to try that.
    A great culinary trip you had Sara.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. It's almost impossible to not like Greek food. I have tried to copy some salads here, but it's not the same. A lot of the flavour is in the ingredients and a tomato in Sweden will never be as tasty as a tomato in Greece.
      Other recipes work of course. I have a cookbook from there, but I guess a Greek husband works better ;)

      Eliminar
  2. You are making me so hungry! It all looks wonderful!

    ResponderEliminar

Adorava saber das vossas voltas. Escrevam!
I would love to hear more about you. Feel free to comment!