Nascida e criada em Portugal. Já morei na Polónia, no Brasil, na República Checa e agora é a Suécia que me acolhe.
O meu blogue, tal como o meu cérebro, é uma mistura de línguas. Bem vindos!

Born and raised Portuguese. I have lived in Poland, Brazil, Czech Republic and now I'm in the beautiful Sweden.
My blog, just like my brain, is a blend of languages. Welcome!

quinta-feira, 11 de agosto de 2016

Running update

From February to May I trained a lot and well. So well that I got overconfident and I ran the race in Gothenburg too fast becoming exhausted and ill.
After that race I also fell and hurt my knees against a concrete block.
I felt terrible.
I went to Portugal and I decided to take a break, running only a few times, just to enjoy myself.
I kept having pain in one of my knees.
Last February, I had taken an online course about exercising. When I understood that the pain I had was not from the fall, I went back to the class about knee injuries.
I recognised mine as a common injury caused by running or cycling.
I had ran hundreds of kilometres and I had only cycled 10 minutes a day, not even every day, going to the supermarket, and occasionally for about 1h in the weekends.
The injury had to be from running, right? Wrong.
I stopped running for 2 weeks, but I kept cycling.
I got worse.
My injury was from cycling!
I understood later that I had my bicycle too short. It had actually been mentioned in the class that a wrong bicycle fit is the number 1 cause of knee injuries in cyclists.
Then, I had 4 weeks to go until the next race and I had a lot of knee pain.
It was time to stop, think and train smartly.
I stopped completely for a week.
I started running very short and slow runs in the second week. I noticed that it stopped hurting after 1 or 2 km, which was an indicator of mild injury, one of those who can be heeled at home (rest, ice, compress, elevate = RICE).
I ran a few more times in the third week, including a semi long 14 Km, to give me confidence.
In the fourth week we were already away. We walked a lot never ran. I did not feel the pain again.
I still had no idea if I would be able to run a half marathon in Dublin. 
On Saturday, the 5K race went slow and nice. No pain.
On Sunday, the 21K race went also slow and nice. I didn't walk once. No pain.

Comparing both half marathons, I did it slower in Gothenburg than in Dublin (by 1 minute), just because in the first I got so exhausted and I had to walk a lot. A good example of a Portuguese saying the faster you do it, the slower you end up doing it. I also enjoyed it much more in Dublin, although the Gothenburg race has a much better atmosphere. I'm guessing not being exhausted to death helps!

With the hard times come good lessons and I did learn from these experiences.
I also registered for Gothenburg's half marathon next year. It won't beat me. Not again.


De Fevereiro a Maio treinei muito e bem. Tão bem que fiquei demasiado confiante, correndo depois a meia maratona de Gotemburgo demasiado rápido, ficando exausta e doente no final. 
Depois dessa corrida também corri e magoei os joelhos contra um bloco de cimento. 
Senti-me péssima.
Fui a Portugal e decidi parar de correr. Corri só algumas vezes, só mesmo porque o adoro fazer.
Continuei a ter dor num dos joelhos. 
Em Fevereiro tirei um curso sobre exercício físico. Quando percebi que a dor no joelho não era da queda, revi a aula de lesões nos joelhos.
Reconheci a minha como sendo a mais comum entre corredores e ciclistas.
Tinha corrido centenas de quilometros, enquanto que só andava de bicicleta 10 minutos por dias, nem sequer todos os dias, a caminho do supermercado, e às vezes dava uma volta de 1h ao fim de semana.
A lesão tinha que ser de correr, certo? Errado.
Parei de correr durante 2 semanas, mas continuei a andar de bicicleta. 
Piorei.
A lesão era de andar de bicicleta!
Percebi depois que a minha bicicleta estava demasiado baixa. Essa foi de facto uma das coisas ensinadas na aula. Uma bicicleta mal ajustada é a maior causa de lesões entre ciclistas. 
Nessa altura faltavam 4 semanas até à minha próxima corrida e eu com dores no joelho.
Estava na altura de parar, pensar e treinar também com a cabeça.
Parei por completo durante uma semana. 
Na segunda semana comecei a correr devagar e por pouco tempo. Notei que a dor no joelho passava ao fim de 1 ou 2 Km, o que é indicação de lesão suave, que se pode curar em casa com descanso, gelo, compressão e elevação.
Corri mais algumas vezes na terceira semana, incluindo um treino semi longo de 14 Km, só para me dar alguma confiança. 
A quarta semana já foi passada em passeio. Andamos muito mas nada de corridas. Nunca mais senti dores.
Não fazia ideia se seria capaz de correr a meia maratona de Dublin ou não. 
No Sábado foi a corrida de 5 Km, que fiz devagar e sem dores.
No Domingo foi a corrida de 21 Km, que também fiz devagar e sem dores. Não precisei de andar nunca.

Comparando as duas meias maratonas, fiz a de Gotemburgo em mais tempo do que a de Dublin (1 minuto a mais), apenas porque fiquei tão exausta que tive que andar vários quilómetros. Acho que qui se aplica o ditado quanto mais depressa mais devagar! Também aproveitei a corrida em Dublin muito mais, ainda que em Gotemburgo o ambiente seja muito melhor. Suponho que não estar cansada de morte ajuda!

Com os tempos difíceis vêm as grandes lições e eu tirei várias destas experiências.
Também me registrei para a meia maratona de Gotemburgo do ano que vem. Desta vez não me vai bater. Outra vez não.


2 comentários:

  1. Glad you found the right advice and seem to have managed to overcome the injury. Well done for completing the half marathons.

    ResponderEliminar

Adorava saber das vossas voltas. Escrevam!
I would love to hear more about you. Feel free to comment!